Women's Health Today

Posted by Blogger on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Amy S. D. Lee, MS, WHCRNP, Nurse Practitioner
My name is Amy Lee and i have known ever since i used to be a young person that I wished to be a nurse. Born and raised within the nice state of Alabama, there was little question concerning attending the University of Alabama. I wasn’t there long before i noticed that specifically I wished to figure with girls.


I received my bachelor of nursing degree from the University of Alabama in 1990, and began my career as a labor-and-delivery nurse, helping women to have their babies in a family centered environment. I received an early foundation in the family centered birthing experiencing at UA and then moved to the beaches of Pensacola, Florida and the Family Birth Center of West Florida Regional Medical Center.

After 4 years, I packed up and moved to Hawaii to go back to school! I worked nights at Castle Hospital in Kailua, Hawaii for the next year and a half while I obtained my master’s degree as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (NP) from the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

My goal--to take care of women and make their lives better--has never changed. I became an active-duty military spouse just a year after starting my NP career. Even though my husband and I moved cross country four times in five years while having three children, I always managed to find opportunities to work in my field.

Now and for the last 8 years, I have been working at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore as the nurse practitioner on the inpatient gynecology service. In this position, I consult on gynecologic issues across the hospital, see patients in clinics, serve as a First Assist in the OR, and teach. I help guide residents, nurse practitioner students, and medical students through their clinical learning experiences. I’m also an Adjunct Professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing providing a lecture on Vaginal Bleeding to the Nurse Practitioner students.

My husband is still an active duty Naval officer. He and I live near Annapolis, Maryland with our three children (aged 11, 8, and 5), our doggie (aged 12), and our kitty (aged 1). We are very busy with soccer, dance, field hockey, lacrosse, hand bells, choir, church, swim team, basketball, violin, cello, cycling, aerobics, sailing, school, tons of friends, and, of course, work!

Today, Johns Hopkins provides me the opportunity to learn something new every day, and I very much want to share my knowledge with you. I look forward to helping you understand your health, as well as the health of the women in your life.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment